This is an Android-specific Guide. Due to the way the Scandit Keyboard Wedge works on iOS and Windows this type of customization is not possible.
Right after signing up for a trial, the Scandit Keyboard Wedge for Android is configured to automatically show the scanner button with the same configuration whenever the keyboard is active. We recommend to customize this for a better user experience in multiple ways:
- Use different scanner configurations depending on the input field or application to be scanned into.
- Show scanner button without requiring the user to open the keyboard first.
- Limit the keyboard wedge to certain applications.
- Fill multiple fields with one scan.
For this, the Keyboard Wedge for Android comes with a configuration mode which allows you to mark specific fields for configuration. This process only needs to be performed once, all other devices on the same deployment will share the configuration.
To prevent random users from changing the configuration, a setup PIN is required to change the configuration. You find this number on the deployment configuration page in the dashboard.
The configuration mode can be started from the Keyboard Wedge app on your phone. Click on the ➕ button on the bottom right of the screen and select "New Configuration". After entering the PIN, short instructions on how to use the configuration mode are shown. Once the configuration mode is active, all input fields on your phone are marked by ✖️ or ✔︎. Fields with a checkbox are marked for configuration.
Once you have marked the input fields, you can name each and and name the overall form configuration for future reference. If everything has worked you should be able to select this configuration on the main screen of the app.
Please note that not all possible configurations are available via the dashboard. Contact us for at [email protected] to help you set up your wedge for scenarios such as:
- Matrix Scan into multiple fields
- Limit the keyboard wedge to a single app (independent of input field)
- Show the scan button for certain input fields even if the keyboard is not active (saving an extra tap for your employees)
- Force certain configurations to always be activated or activated per default for your employees.